Tips for Good Hygiene Habits
We understand that it can be difficult to motivate your kids to take responsibility for their oral health. Below are a few tips to help instill good hygiene habits in your kids:
- Routinely talk with them about why good oral hygiene is important.
- Make brushing fun by buying soft-bristled toothbrushes with their favorite characters on them.
- Consider implementing a reward chart to track their daily brushing activity.
Compassionate and Gentle Care
When you bring your kids to Vital Smiles Georgia, we will continue your efforts of making oral hygiene a positive experience. Our practice is devoted to kids under the age of 20, so our team has experience relating to and understanding kids. At Vital Smiles Georgia, we:
- Offer compassionate and gentle care to help your kids overcome any anxieties regarding the procedures or instruments.
- Use fun terms for our instruments to help create a safe and positive atmosphere.
- Encourage you to use some of our terms to help familiarize your kid with our terminology.
Vital Smiles Dictionary of Kid-Friendly Dental Terms
- Bubbles or jelly: a fluoride treatment we apply during a pediatric teeth cleaning. This helps strengthen your kid’s teeth
- Electronic toothbrush: a motorized prophy brush used to clean your kid’s teeth during check-ups
- Mr. Bumpy: a slow-speed tool that helps remove decayed material from your kid’s teeth and helps to prepare teeth for fillings
- Mr. Thirsty: a suction straw used during cleanings and procedures to suck up excess liquid in the mouth
- Prince Crown or Princess Crown: a chrome or porcelain crown sometimes used in dental restorations
- Silver Star: a silver filling, made from an amalgam of restoration material
- Sleepy Juice: the anesthesia used for numbing the teeth and gums during procedures
- Sugar bug: cavities, or dental caries, in teeth
- Tooth camera: the radiography equipment used to take X-rays of your kid’s teeth
- Tooth counter: the dental explorer used to examine teeth
- Water Whistle: a high-speed tool that helps to remove decayed material from your kid’s teeth